The Queen’s Battery - St. John’s NL - 2014
The oldest city in North America.
The fortification of Signal Hill began during the Napoleonic Wars. Queen’s, Wallace’s, Waldegrave, Duke of York’s, Quidi Vidi Pass and Carronade Batteries date from this period. Thomas Hawke Hill was the place of ultimate retreat for the garrison at Forts William and Townsend. An impressive show of strength here in 1796 deterred a French fleet, under Admiral de Richery.
New barracks were built at the Queen’s Battery and the summit in the 1830s, and the hill was fortified again during the American Civil War. In the First World War a contingent of Newfoundland Legion of Frontiersmen manned Fort Waldegrave in the Narrows. During the Second World War, the United States maintained anti-aircraft artillery, coastal defence guns and a mobile battery on the Hill.
~from Parks Canada - http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/nl/signalhill/natcul/histor.aspx